Friday, January 20, 2012

Blueberry Pecan Coconut Breakfast Quinoa

I'm always looking for new ways to use quinoa. I don't have many recipes with it yet that we really like and i'm even more limited since Matt doesn't like it cold. I haven't got his opinion on this one yet because he hasn't tried it, but he doesn't care much for coconut so I don't know how it's going to go over. And he says he isn't picky... :) I'm going to be honest..I don't love quinoa. It's good, but in most cases I find it pretty bland. But i'm reallly trying to love it seeing how it's all the rage these days. With that said, I thought this was a good one. As soon as I made it I had a few bowls. This is the first time I tried a breakfast version and I kept thinking it should be oatmeal. You could use whatever fruit/nuts you wanted, these are just what I happened to have. I have another breakfast recipe that hopefully i'll be posting next week, if all goes well, that i've been dying to try all week!
Blueberry Pecan Coconut Breakfast Quinoa
Beantown Baker


Ingredients:
2 cups milk
1 cup uncooked quinoa
pinch salt
2-3 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut

Directions:
Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Milk will boil and bubble over very quickly, so keep an eye on it. Add quinoa and salt, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Stir in blueberries, nuts, and coconut. Cook until warmed through, about one minute more. Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment