Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Barbie/Princess Cake

My little guy did it. He arrived June 10th and has been keeping me busy since. Today was Rylee's 2nd birthday and her cake is the first thing i've baked from scratch in a couple of weeks. I wanted to make something small and settled on a barbie/princess cake. I looked at several different ones I came across on the internet then set out to make my own not following anything specifically. First I needed to find a small barbie type doll. I found this one at the dollar store and it was perfect. It was actually a mermaid and I ended up breaking the fin off because it was a little too tall. Using a small, round pyrex bowl and another small pyrex dish, I baked a 1/2 recipe of this chocolate cake, which was really good and one i'm sure i'll be making again. I frosted it with vanilla buttercream that was also a keeper. It tasted like the frosting on a cake you would get from the bakery or store. The only problem I had was that it was about a million degrees in my kitchen and the frosting started to melt. It ended up being ok though, especially since Rylee couldn't care less if it looked nice or not.

Easy Vanilla Buttercream
The Way the Cookie Crumbles

Makes 3 cups
Ingredients:
20 tablespoons (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2½ cups Confectioners’ sugar (10 ounces)
1/8 tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream


Directions:
In standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add confectioners’ sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds. Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.




Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment