Thursday, May 5, 2011

Baby Shower Cake Pops

Cake pops have never been something that interested me. I'm not one to spend a lot of time or detail on little things. I get bored after a little while and things start to get sloppy for the sake of getting the job done. And you spend so much time and they're eaten so fast. But for some reason when thinking of a dessert to make for a baby shower, I thought i'd give them a try. And I didn't want to go simple like just drizzling some chocolate or sprinkles on top. I wanted to make them look like a baby. Don't ask me why. I have no artistic ability at all. Ask me to draw anything and it looks like a 5 year old did it. I think maybe because I wish I was artistic so every once in a while i'll try my luck again only to realize why I don't do things like this.

Anyway, these took a long...time. And it didn't help that it was about 80 degrees outside (which means it was way, way hotter in my kitchen). I had no idea of all the things that could go wrong while making these and ended up having quite a few casualties.. Some of the candy coating on some of them cracked and even broke off and a few of them fell off the stick (which im wondering if it's because it was so hot inside they got melty and just fell through the stick..). I was losing my patience but after you've come so far you just gotta stick it out. My husband ended up making the bows for me (the whole lack of artistic ability thing again) which was really nice. I made the fondant one night, the bows the next night and everything else the next day. I used fondant for the bows and pacifier- which had a sprinkle on top of it. I tried a few different ideas for face features, but this is what I ended up with. Cute or creepy- you decide. It was fun to try but I think next time i'll ditch the stick and just go with cake balls, ones that don't require anything too 'artsy' for me.

Baby Shower Cake Pops


(I just thought this picture was kind of funny)


I'm not going to post the marshmallow fondant recipe, but here's the link for it: Marshmallow Fondant from All Recipes


And instructions on how to make the cake pops, from Bakerella
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. that looks really cute in the picture! It looks like a baby. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah yeah..dont try and make up for earlier! i think they got a little smooshed being in the box.

    ReplyDelete