Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Muffins

It's not often Matt goes to the grocery store (atleast alone). Since i'm home all day I end up going out to stores just about everyday, so there's usually no need for him to go. Except for on occassion we need something *cough*ice cream*cough* or to return a redbox dvd. And when he goes to the grocery store you can bet he usually always comes back with steak among some other random things. His last trip he came back with a bag of bananas. Not just a little clear plastic bag with a few bananas in it..but a paper sack full of ripe bananas. When I asked what all the bananas were about he replied, "the guy at the store said I could fill the bag full for $1.50." Ook..so we've got about 15 yellow-soon-to-be-brown bananas and let me remind you, he's still on his diet so he won't be eating any of them. And the kids don't really eat bananas, not usually alteast. So rather than making 4 or 5 loaves of banana bread, i've been trying to find other uses for them; mainly healthier snacks I could give the kids. I was so happy to find this recipe! It has such basic, simple ingredients that I don't mind feeding my kids. They were a little like banana bread but they weren't very sweet (although you could easily make them sweeter if you prefer, but we were fine with them the way they were). And you can easily adapt this a number of ways, one batch I added cinnamon, another batch I added peanut butter.

Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Ingredients:
2 /1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 c. of plain low fat greek yogurt (I used unsweetend applesauce)
2 eggs
3/4 cup sweetener of choice, or 2 tbs stevia sweetener (I used stevia)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 bananas (I only used one but realized it needed at least one more
optional: cinnamon, peanut butter, etc.
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
Spray 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
Place all ingredients (wet first) into a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into muffin tins and bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment