Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Week 5: Boudin Brownie Recipe

We didn't get around to delivering today. We may (or may not) do it later on in the week. Matt's pretty burned out with school right now and so he's not really into doing extra work at the moment. But I did make something. I got bored today and felt the urge to bake. I've baked every day for over the last month except for Monday, it was kind of weird. I love baking. Cooking is good too and I do that just about everyday as well, but there's just something about a baked good that's hard for me to resist. Maybe cuz it's warm and comforting and I have absolutely no will power at all against them. None. Which is why it's essential to give these things away before I scarf whole batches of things down by myself. Anyway, enough of that. I'm gonna have to have another brownie if I keep thinking about it.
For all of you who don't know what Boudin is, it's a company from San Francisco, commonly known for their sourdough bread. They also have brownies I guess, I've never had one. But next time I go by i'll have to give them a try. This recipe was adapted from the one they use and was featured in the L.A. Times, the recipe and photo are also on cookiemadness. Here's a scaled down version of the original. I thought they were really good, even though they were slightly underbaked. Probably because I was a little too anxious to eat them, ha! The batter was really different from any other brownies i've made, it was kind of like a real thick mousse. And the top formed this really thick, flakey crust, I really liked it. I didn't put nuts in them though, since Matt doesn't like them. Thoughtful, huh? Here's the recipe, don't get anxious like me and take them out before they're ready though.
Boudin Brownie Recipe

1 stick unsalted butter plus extra for greasing

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate

2 1/2 large eggs – (to halve an egg, crack 1 and use 2 tablespoons)

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 tablespoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cups flour

1 cup toasted, chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 (350 for glass pan) degrees. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil and butter the foil.
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add chocolate, turn off heat, and stir until melted from the residual heat. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Beat in the melted chocolate (which should be slightly warm, but not piping hot at this point), vanilla and the salt. By hand stir in the flour until it is almost combined, then add the nuts and continue stirring gently until all flour disappears.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth to the edges, and bake in the center of the oven until puffed and almost set, about 38 to 40 minutes.

Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment