Friday, July 20, 2012

Chicken Gyros with Tzatki Sauce

 I first made this recipe a couple years ago and put it in my recipe book as a keeper. But as usual, things go in there and aren't often made. But only because I typically try to make new recipes if I can. Anyway, as I was flipping through my book trying to figure out what we're going to eat this week I spotted this one and realized it's been way too long. After dinner Matt told me it was really good and it should go in "the book." Like I said, we try a lot of different recipes and he never even opens the book so little did he know it was already in there. It's super easy to make and doesn't take long at all! My favorite kind of recipe :)  
Chicken Gyros with Tzatki Sauce
Ingredients:
Juice of 1 lemon
2 t. red wine vinegar
2 TBLS. extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping TBLS plain yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 TBLS dried oregano
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
diced tomatoes
sliced red onions
pita bread
tzatziki sauce (recipe below)

Directions:
For the chicken:
Whisk together lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, garlic and oregano in a bowl. Add chicken to the marinade, cover and refrigerate for atleast 1 hour.
Preheat grill to medium. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper then grill until cooked through. Allow to rest 5 min. then cut into strips.
Heat pita bread in frying pan or toaster then top with chicken, tomatoes, onion and tzatziki

For the Tzatziki Sauce:
8 oz. plain greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
squeeze fresh lemon juice
drizzle of olive oil

Directions:
Wrap cucumber in paper towl and squeeze out excess liquid, as much as possible.
Mix together the rest of the ingredients with cucumber in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 min. Drizzle a little olive oil on top.
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment