Thursday, July 12, 2012

Double Chocolate Double Peanut Butter Ice Cream


July is national ice cream month, in case you didn't know. Lately i've really been in the mood to make things from scratch, which I would love to do on a regular basis but sometimes I struggle just getting dinner made. I feel guilty spending a ton of time in the kitchen on something I could easily just buy when I could be spending that time doing something fun with my kids. But on occassion  i'll make something I would typically just buy, like ice cream. Chocolate and PB ice cream has always been one of my fave selections. The container we just finished off was Triple Cookie Sundae and I kept finding myself adding pb in when I ate it. I didn't let my mixture cool enough before churning so I had some issues and didn't get a good pb ribbon, but I also had the pb patties in there for an extra kick. I always regret when I don't make a double batch of ice cream because it goes way too fast!

Double Chocolate Double Peanut Butter Ice Cream
ice cream seen on Joy the Baker and pb patties seen on Dinner and Dessert
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup smooth salted peanut butter

Directions:
In a sauce pan over medium heat, stir together 2 cups whole milk, sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Heat until the milk start to steam, but before it starts to boil.

In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup of whole milk and the cornstarch. Stir until no lumps remain.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the heated milk and chocolate mixture and bring to a low boil. Boil until thickened. The mixture will look the consistency of chocolate pudding. Remove from flame.

In a small sauce pan, heat 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 1 minute, then stir the cream and chocolate mixture until incorporated.

Stir the cream and chocolate mixture into the cooling chocolate ice cream base. Place in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap or a lid, and put in the fridge until cool.

Once cool follow the manufacturers instructions on the ice cream maker to churn ice cream. Once the mixture has chilled and thickened in the ice cream maker, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of peanut butter. Don’t over mix, you want a nice ribbon of peanut butter running through the ice cream.

Transfer the ice cream into a freezer safe container and fold in the remaining 1/4 cup of peanut butter. Cover and freeze until solid.


Peanut Butter Patties
Ingredients:

6 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar

Directions:
Mix together the peanut butter and sugar in a small bowl. Line a dinner plate with plastic wrap. Pinch off small pieces of the peanut butter mixture, about ½ teaspoon each, and drop them onto the dinner plate. Once you’ve used all of the mixture, freeze the patties.

Mixing them in: Fold the Peanut Butter Patties into 1 quart of ice cream as you remove it from the machine.

Storage: Peanut Butter Patties can be stored in the freezer, well wrapped, for up to 1 month. Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. You would know it was national ice cream month ;) Did I read that first part right...you feel like making things from scratch lately??? You and I are of a different breed ;) That ice cream sounds bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah you read right, i'm crazy like that ;)

    ReplyDelete