Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Funfetti Cake & Whipped Cream Frosting

For Rylee's 1st birthday I wanted to make her a little funfetti cake from scratch- not that she even ate any of it..she was ready for bed by the time we gave it to her. Anyway, it turned out pretty good! I used a whipped cream frosting from a website that has healthy recipes for baby's 1st bday cake. I don't think I would use it on this cake next time. It wasn't bad though, I just think I could find a better one for it. I love how funfetti looks. Except I didn't even think to take a picture of it..here's the only one I have (even though you can't see the cake itself). I think this picture is so funny. If you don't know what funfetti looks like, well, shame on you. jk. It's pretty much like a white cake but with sprinkles mixed into the batter.
Funfetti Cake
Ingredients:
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon sal
t1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3 egg whites
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 TBLS. (more or less) of rainbow sprinkles/jimmies
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Then cut in shortening until fine crumbs are formed. Next add the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then on high for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently. Stir in sprinkles.
Bake for 25-30 min.
Egg whites may be beaten separately before adding to mix for a lighter cake.

Whipped Cream Frosting

Makes 1 frosting for a 2 layer cake

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 cup white sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar salt and vanilla until smooth. In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.

Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment