Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chocolate Banana Cream Pie

Matt's favorite kind of pie is banana cream. I'm not a big banana person..but I got so excited when I saw this, especially since I needed something to take to a potluck. Banana cream meets chocolate cream..best of both worlds! This pie is exactely how I thought it would turn out. It was so good! Like a chocolate covered banana. First there's a layer of the cream, then bananas, then chocolate cream and topped with whipped cream. I wish you could see the layers better. They say the first slice is the worst though, but since I was taking this somewhere..I couldn't really cut out any more slices. Who takes a pie somewhere with some if it missing? I do. With all my hard work you bet im gonna make sure and try it!
The pie itself was easy, but the crust took some time. I've never made a pie crust before (aside from a graham cracker one.- and hence the shabbiness of it). It was a little time consuming, but I made it the night before so it didn't seem like such a labor of love doing everything at once. I actually enjoyed the process of making the crust, I thought it was kinda fun. However I might get lazy next time and just try a frozen one.

Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
Makes 1 9 inch pie
Ingredients:
For Pie Crust:
1 cup plain all purpose flour
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar

For Filling:
3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

2 medium bananas, sliced
1 cup heavy cream3 tablespoons sugar1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate curls/shavings for garnish (optional)

Directions:
Prepare pie crust according to the technique outlined here adding in cocoa powder and sugar. Roll out and gently press into a 9" pie pan. Place pan and crust in the freezer for at least 10 minutes prior to baking (or while your oven is preheating).

Line crust with foil or parchment paper and fill full with pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully remove weights and lining. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until set. Allow to cool completely.

In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Stir in 1 cup of milk, mix until smooth, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes, then remove from heat.

Beat the egg yolks with the remaining cup of milk. Temper the egg mixture with a small amount of the slightly cooled milk mixture then blend this into the larger saucepan with the cooling milk mixture.

Return saucepan to the heat and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly, lower heat and simmer until mixture is the consistency of thick pudding, about 1 minute.

Remove from the heat and quickly stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer half of the filling mixture to a small bowl and set aside. Add chocolate chips to remaining filling and stir until melted and smooth.

Allow fillings to cool for 5 minutes, then pour plain filling into cooled pie shell. Arrange a single layer of banana slices on top of the filling. Pour chocolate filling on top. Refrigerate until completely cooled.

Whip cream until almost stiff. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until cream holds peaks. Gently spread whipped cream on top of cooled filling, smoothing top into a slight dome. Garnish with chocolate shavings or curls if desired.
*Linked up to Sweets For A Saturday
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that looks so gooey and delicious! Homemade pie crusts are definitely worth the extra effort, I've never made a chocolate one... sounds intriguing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks soo yummy! Glad you linked up with Sweets for Saturday. I LOVE banana cream pie AND chocolate so I need to try this version! I posted some banana cupcakes with peanut butter icing...so good! :)

    http://www.noraisinsonmyparade.com/2011/01/banana-bo-bana-cupcakes-with-peanut.html

    -Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your presentation! This looks far too easy to dig in to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fantastic dessert. I love how you dressed up this pie with those chocolate hearts on top. Thanks for linking this up at Sweets for a Saturday. I hope you'll be able to join in again.

    ReplyDelete