Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Crisp Cocoa-Pecan Cookies

I received my bon appetit magazine in the mail yesterday and there were a few recipes that caught my eye right away and knew I had to make soon! I decided to start first with this one because I had all the ingredients on hand and well, they're cookies, I can't help but get excited. I only made 1/2 batch like I usually do with first time recipes and now i'm wishing I hadn't! I left out the nuts since my husband doesn't like nuts in his baked goods (unfortunately. Especially since they would have been so good in these), but they still had a slight nutty, or butterscotch flavor to them. They really did spread out more than I thought they would and you'll end up with a thin, crispy cookie. They felt slightly fancy to me, don't ask why. I really did love these and i'm already thinking of when I can make them again.
Crisp Cocoa-Pecan Cookies
bon appetit magazine
Yield: about 16 oversize cookies
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 TBLS. natural unsweetened cocoa powder (scooped into measuring spoon, then leveled)
1/2 t. baking soda
10 TBLS. (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1/3 c. (packed) golden brown sugar
1/3 c. sugar
2 TBLS. plus 2 t. light corn syrup
2 TBLS. whole milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips
Directions:
Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and 1/2 t. (generous) salt in medium bowl. Stir butter and next 5 ingredients in another medium bowl until smooth. Stir in flour mixture, then nuts. Cover and chill until firm enough to scoop, atleast 4 hours. (Mine felt firm sooner so I only chilled for about 2 hours). *Can be made 1 day ahead; Keep chilled.
Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Measure 2 level tablespoonfuls dough; roll between palms into ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Using fingers, spread out dough to 3 inch diameter disk. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 5 inches apart.
Bake cookies 8 minutes; reverse sheets. Bake cookies until flat and beginning to darken around edges, about 10 minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment to cooling rack. *Can be made 4 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Melt chocolate chips. Drizzle over cooled cookies and let stand until chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.
Linked up to
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. They look fancy! My husband isn't a big fan of nuts in his baked goods either, which is such a shame! If it were up to me, I'd put walnuts and/or pecans in almost anything. The things we do for our picky eaters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it is a shame! But im picky about my regular food and he's usually not so I guess it's fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of nuts in baked goodies...and these look delicious! What I'm less a fan about is corn syrup...I would probably try a little honey in its place.

    Your visit was much appreciated...it became a great way to discover your blog.
    Btw...I liked and took short notes on a few of your posts...especially the Italian chocolate ice-cream ;o)

    Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking this up at Sweets for a Saturday. They look so chocolatey and good, the perfect treat for eating with a nice cup of cocoa, because you can never have too much chocolate, right?

    ReplyDelete