Friday, January 21, 2011

Top Chef Eric's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't watch Top Chef. I once had tickets to go see something they were doing but of course I accidentally deleted it from my email and wasn't able to get new ones. (It's ok, they were free, wasn't that big of a deal). So I don't know much about the show, but I do know they did some "Just Dessert" episodes and this recipe was on one of them. It came from Eric Wolitzky who is a pastry chef at Baked (a bakery and cafe in Brooklyn, NY). These cookies were bakery style. Big, soft, chewy and chocked full of chocolate. I loved the use of coarse kosher salt in these. You could really tell how it complimented the sweet without being overly salty. I noticed there wasn't any vanilla used in this recipe. Next time i'll try adding a little and see how it compares, even though I thought these were delicious as they are. I think I may have baked mine a minute or two too long because they weren't as soft after cooling, but after a few seconds in the microwave and they were good as fresh. I don't know why they put the ingredients in grams and ounces, probably to confuse us. But go ahead and pull out your scale if you have one, otherwise i'll just note the conversions I used.
PS-check out Lisa's Blog Sweet As Sugar where you'll find this and many other delicious looking sweets for sweets for Saturday.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Eric Wolitzky from Top Chef
I made a half batch and got 20 cookies out of it. Of course it will depend on how large you make them. I made the scoops about twice the size as I would regularly. The dough was pretty dry, so dropping, like I would normally do, wasn't really an option, I had to squeeze into balls (don't flatten).
Ingredients:
340 grams butter (1 1/2 c.)
200 grams sugar (1 c.)
400 grams brown sugar (2 c. tightly packed)
21 ounces flour (4 2/3 c.)
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon salt (coarse, Kosher-less if you're usin regular table salt)
2 eggs
2 yolks
21 ounces chocolate chips (I used chunks)
Directions:
1. Melt butter, cool slightly.
2. Paddle sugars with melted butter.
3. Whisk together dry ingredients.
4. Add eggs slowly.
5. Add flour, mix, add chips.
6. Bake at 325 for 14min or until golden brown.
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

12 comments:

  1. Wow, those cookies are huge and they really look incredibly chewy. I'd be happy with one of those in my hand and another in my mouth. I'm starting a new linky party on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I. I froze some of the dough so I think im gonna have to make the rest today. Thanks for the invite, i'll come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made those cookies shortly after they appeared on Top Chef Just Desserts. I thought there were great. Yours look awesome. I like a thick cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were amazing...and I am so glad you posted this because I am going to make some ...probably right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a thick cookie..and a thin cookie! I love em all:)
    Sarah, Let me know how they turn out for ya if u make them. And by let me know I mean put one in my hand. jk :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love a soft chewy chocolate chunk cookie! These look so good I'm tempted to make them this afternoon. :) It's Sunday, and hubby and I are a little more relaxed on our New Year "healthy food" diets. Chocolate is healthy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookie look amazing.I've tried alot of cookie recipies but i've never seen any that big lol. I like the fact that the measurements are in english cause it's easier for me. Bit confused about the salt and the eggs, 2 eggs and 2 additional yolks? What is kosherless?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure chocolate is healthy :) Atleast that's what I like to tell myself.
    So for the eggs, you'll need 4 total but you'll only use the yolks from 2 of the eggs (discard the white). Kosher salt is different than regular table salt, for one it's a lot coarser and has large crystals, unlike fine grained table salt. It will say on it if it's Kosher salt. You could substitute table salt, just be sure to use a lot less, around 1 3/4 t.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made these too, and they are awesome! Your pictures make me want to go out to buy some chocolate and start another batch right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I really appreciate the support and hope you'll be able to join in next Saturday. By then I'll have a cute button that you can grab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that show! However, I didn't watch every episode and probably miss this cookie! The cookies look tasty and that chocolate makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh YUM! Chocolate chip are my absolute favorite. I watched Top Chef Just Desserts and must have missed the recipe for these. I have a post on my blog with the link of recipes. I'm making these! Thanks for the conversions. I would never bake if I had to weigh the ingredients. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete