Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts

This is another recipe from this month's bon appetit that I couldn't wait to try. In fact, the picture for these was the cover. And you can bet I was excited when it slipped through the mail slot and I saw these. So of course, I made them nutless as previously explained. However they were fantastic either way. All the things a good brownie should be- fudgey inside, chewy and they had a (slight) crackly top. Although I thought these were great, I wouldn't call them my favorite. But then again, that would be a very hard thing for me to do with any brownie recipe. Just a reminder: don't make these if you're out of milk. You'll be kicking yourself if you do. Oh hey, know what I just noticed? These are almost identical to Best Cocoa Brownies that I posted a while back ago, haha. Guess I shoud have checked that earlier. I was thinking they felt familiar and didn't decide to check until after these ones were done. Either way i'm sure I would have made them!

Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts
bon appetit magazine



Ingredients:
10 TBLS. (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. vanilla extract
2 large eggs, chilled
1/3 c. plus 1 TBLS. unbleached all purpose flour
1 c. walnuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Line 8x8 inch pan with foil leaving 2 inch overhang. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.
Melt buter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; immediately add sugar, cocoa, 2 t. water, vanilla, and 1/4 t (generous) salt. Stir to blend. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot).
Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Stir in nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean (with a few moist crumbs attached), about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on rack. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan and cut.
*Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temp.
*Linked up to Sweets For A Saturday
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking this up at Sweets for a Saturday. Sounds like a great twist on the brownie.

    ReplyDelete