Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Best Chicken Pot Pie

The title says it all, people. I've been meaning to post this one for some time but I just got around to making it again for dinner today. So as I sit here eating it, I can't wait any longer to share this recipe. This really is the best chicken pot pie i've had and I sort of want to make it for everyone I know. You can make this in one large dish or smaller single serving sized ones. I like the smaller dishes because you get more crust to filling ratio. If you make too small though, you'll end up needing another roll of pie crust. Here I did 3 small (3.5 inch/8 oz.) ramekins and 2 larger ones (5 inch) and had the perfect amount of dough to do a bottom layer up the sides and a top. Instead of slits on top, you could also use cookie cutters or just a knife to carve out whatever you'd like. Enjoy!

Best Chicken Pot Pie
I don't remember where I originally saw the recipe, but i'll list as soon as I find it!




Large pie serves 4-5, mini pies serve 6Ingredients:2 homemade or store-bought pie crusts (about 9-inch each)
2 cups water
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup butter
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup frozen peas
1 egg
1 tbsp. water

Directions:In 4-quart saucepot combine water, chicken, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken bouillon, pepper and butter. Dissolve cornstarch and flour into whipping cream and stir into chicken mixture. Simmer 3 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened. Add peas and set aside.
Roll out two 9-inch pie crusts. I roll them out a little thinner to get more out of it. Place bottom crust into six ramekins or one 9-inch pie plate, and shape with your fingers. I like to extend the bottom crust up the sides to the top.
Pour filling into bottom crust. Roll out top crust; cut slits for steam to escape. Cover filling with top crust. Seal crusts and wave edge with your fingers. Whisk egg with water, and brush top crust with egg wash. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. If top crust is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminium foil. Let stand 15-20 minutes before serving.
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment