Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chocolate Doughnut Glaze

The Ghiradelli Chocolate Festival was this weekend in SF. The festival wasn't quite what I hoped.. The event was free but you had to buy a ticket for $20 if you wanted to do tasting. I would have done that, no problem. Except the line at each booth was like a mile long. I don't mind paying to taste, but not when I have to wait in 15 different lines that are each a mile long. On top of that, it's never fun trying to push a stroller through a crowd. I did get a smore's sundae at the ice cream shop though and it was soo good! And they have a new flavor called Pumpkin Spice and it is my new favorite! It's like the milk chocolate and caramel one but with some pumpkin spice in it. If you don't already know, i'm a huge chocoholic. I don't have a hard time turning down sweets that don't have chocolate in them, even if they are good. Even after eating a non chocolate treat I usually have to have something chocolate after that to satisfy me. With that said, lately i've been trying to think of non-chocolate things that I like (but dont really crave) that I can chocolatize and maybe like even more. I decided to try cinnamon rolls. I used my cinnamon roll recipe as the base and slightly altered it. I'm gonna be honest, it wasn't what I hoped or imagined. It wasn't horrible..but nothing I would crave either. However, I happened to find a chocolate doughnut glaze recipe from Alton Brown and I drenched the chocolate cinnamon rolls in it and it made them a lot better! That glaze is magic! So instead of posting the cinnamon rolls (since they're not really up to par), I decided to post about this deliciously amazing glaze. Next time you make doughnuts, definitely give this glaze a try!
Chocolate Doughnut Glaze
Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions
Combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until melted. Turn off heat, add the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Place the mixture over a bowl of warm water and dip the doughnuts immediately. Allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment