Monday, September 6, 2010

Olive Garden's Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo- whaatt??

We (yes, Matt was home and helped me) made this for dinner, it's actually one of our favorites. So I decided, why not share it with the world?? Occassionally I might toss in something random like this.. We haven't gone to Olive Garden in a loong time.. but the last few times we have, this is what Matt would always order. I'm so glad I found this recipe from Todd Wilber's Top Secret Recipes a while back ago. I even made it for my family and now they eat it all the time too. It looks like a lot of work, but really it's done in like 30 minutes, you just use up a lot of dishes and have all 4 burners going at almost the same time. For the price you would pay buying it at Olive Garden you could just make it at home and have it for several meals. If you really want to feel like you're eating out, make some Zuppa Toscana (it really does taste like theirs, and it's my favorite of the soups!) and breadsticks (which i'll post soon!).
Olive Garden® Steak Gorgonzola-Alfredo
(green onions and sundried tomatoes not pictured)
Balsamic Glaze (the glaze makes way too much, I would suggest only making 1/2, even at that you're going to have extra.)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons Knox unflavored gelatin powder

Alfredo Sauce
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 12-ounce box fettuccine pasta

Beef Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon meat tenderizer (McCormick brand works well)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

3 6-ounce sirloin steaks (each cut into four 1 1/2-ounce medallions)
4 cups chopped fresh spinach
3 tablespoons chopped green onions (about 2 onions) (I didn't use these..)

Garnish
3 tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola cheese
2 tablespoons chopped sundried tomatoes (Didnt use these either..)

1. Make balsamic glaze by combining balsamic vinegar, honey and unflavored gelatin in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir often as mixture comes to a simmer. Turn off heat when mixture begins to boil, then remove it from the heat and cool at room temperature. The glaze will thicken even more as it cools.
2. Make the alfredo sauce by melting butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cream, garlic powder, pepper, and cheeses, and simmer over medium/low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until thick.
3. Bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until done, then strain.
4. Preheat grill to high heat. Combine beef seasoning ingredients. Pound beef medallions to about 1/2-inch thick and sprinkle both sides with the seasoning blend. When your grill is hot, cook beef medallions for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until cooked to your preference.
5. Just before serving the dish, add chopped spinach and chopped green onions to alfredo sauce. For each serving toss approximately one-third of the fettuccine pasta with about 3/4 cup of the alfredo sauce in a medium bowl. Spoon onto a serving plate, and then arrange 4 beef medallions on the pasta. Drizzle balsamic vinegar glaze over each beef medallion. Combine gorgonzola cheese crumbles with chopped sundried tomatoes and sprinkle about 1 1/2 tablespoons of this mixture over the beef medallions. Repeat for the remaining two servings.
Follow TawnyAlexander on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is my FAVORITE dinner! I always order this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd Wilbur has some of the best stuff! Thanks for linking to me :) Have you tried an OG salad copycat? There was one in Food Network Mag last year that tasted pretty close. It's on my blog somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, i've only tried a few of his things, but I like everything i've had. Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing the salad, I forgot all about it though..maybe i'll try it next time I make this!

    ReplyDelete